Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Le Corbeau

Le Corbeau
*****/5
Henri-Georges Clouzot

The French continue to casually make beautiful films with important social messages. I guess not "continue" since this film is from the '40s, but "consistently".

The story is of an anonymous informant who sends exposing letters to every person in a small town. The infrastructure and relationships crumble as treachery and secrets come to light. The mystery of "Who is 'Le Corbeau'?" is not nearly as thrilling as the human drama, which explores how easily people can be swayed to keep themselves safe. It was made as a response to the occupation of France, and therefore the comments are rather subtle, but not easy to miss.

I first thought of recommending The Exterminating Angel, which is one of my favorite films ever, but I'm not sure if that is the strongest connection I can make. Apparently, Godard's Weekend was inspired by The Exterminating Angel, so maybe I'll save the recommendation for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment